(FAQ) How can I downgrade to a previous version of MDaemon?
How can I downgrade MDaemon to a previous version?
Due to numerous changes and the addition of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server component, you cannot install an earlier version of MDaemon over the top of an MDaemon 12.x installation. However, the MDaemon 12 installer automatically backs up the old \MDaemon\App and \MDaemon\SpamAssassin folders, which you can then use to downgrade to the previous version by following these steps:
1. Download your previous version (the version to which you are downgrading) of MDaemon from our archive site: http://archive.altn.com/MDaemon/
The installation file will be named: md*_??.exe. (*=version) (??=language)
2. If the MDaemon BES server was installed when you upgraded to MDaemon 12, follow these steps:
- Click the Setup menu
- Click Blackberry Device Management...
- Disable Enable BlackBerry Enterprise Server
- Click OK to stop the MDaemon BES services.
3. Shut down MDaemon by clicking the Windows Start button | Programs | MDaemon | Stop MDaemon
4. Open the Processes tab in Windows Task Manager:
- Click the Windows Start button | Run
- Type 'taskmgr.exe'
- In the Task Manager window, select the Processes tab
5. Review the Processes tab to determine whether the following MDaemon processes have stopped:
(Note: If you have multiple processors, you may have multiple instances of some of these processes)
6. If the MDaemon BES server was installed when you upgraded to MDaemon 12, then you will need to uninstall the BES server and SQL Server components:
- Click the Windows Start button | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
- Uninstall the following programs:
BlackBerry Enterprise Server for MDaemon
Microsoft SQL Server 2005
Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
Note: When uninstalling Microsoft SQL Server 2005, Enable (check) both MDAEMON: Database Engine and Workstation Components to fully uninstall the SQL server. Otherwise, choose MDAEMON: Database Engine to only remove the MDaemon database.
7. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the \MDaemon folder. By default, the path to the MDaemon folder is C:\MDaemon.
8. Rename the following folders found in the \MDaemon folder by adding '.old' to the end of the folder name (Example: App.old)
9. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to you previous version's backup folder: \MDaemon\Backup\(version)
10. From the \MDaemon\backup\(version) folder, copy the App folder to the \MDaemon folder.
From the \MDaemon\backup\(version) folder, copy the SpamAssassin folder to the \MDaemon folder.
12. Double-click the file that you downloaded in Step 1 to install MDaemon, while ensuring that you install to the same path where MDaemon is currently installed. Also, make sure that you disable (uncheck) the Start MDaemon option during the final step of the installation.
13. Copy the WorldClient.ini file from the renamed \MDaemon\WorldClient.old to \MDaemon\WorldClient
14. Start MDaemon by clicking the Windows Start button | Programs | MDaemon | Start MDaemon
You can obtain registration keys for previous versions of MDaemon by opening the following file in Notepad:
The registration key is can be found by searching for: '6XKey' in the MDaemon.ini file.
This article refers to MDaemon 12.x. For information on how to resolve this in previous versions, please see the link below.